The Infirmary comprised a consulting room, four wards with a total of twenty beds, an operating theatre, kitchen and fresh water cistern. In the first year of the German occupation the Gendarmerie kept all the political exiles in the Infirmary. In the course of their incarceration here, 33 political exiles - many of them taken into custody during or after the workers' uprising of May 1936 in Thessaloniki - died of starvation.
The building was so badly damaged by the 1968 earthquake that it had to be abandoned. It remained derelict until 2005, when the Modern Monuments and Engineering Works Service of North Aegean started restoration works. In November 2007 the restoration works were completed and the monument was officially opened by the Prime Minister, Kostas Karamanlis.